- • Wet your hands with clean running water (warm or cold) and apply soap.
- • Rub your hands together to make lather and scrub them well; be sure to scrub the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- • Continue rubbing your hands for at least 20 seconds. Humming the song "Happy Birthday" from beginning to end twice is approximately 20 seconds.
- • Rinse your hands under running water.
- • Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry.
Alcohol based sanitizers, which do not require water, are an acceptable alternative when soap and water aren't available. If you do choose to use a hand sanitizer, make sure it is alcohol based and contains at least 60% alcohol. Don't underestimate the power of hand washing! The few seconds you spend at the sink could save you trips to the doctor.